Research Unit Forest Resources and Management (FoReMa)
The Research Unit (RU) Forest Resources and Management is principally engaged in four research themes:
- Monitoring, analysis, assessment and prognosis of forest resources
- Silvicultural interventions to ensure the provision of forest products and services
- Availability and optimized utilisation of forest resources, especially timber
- Development of methods and models related to the three research themes mentioned previously
Among the forest resources, the RU focuses its research on timber and carbon sequestration. Moreover, it provides contributions to protection from natural hazards and to the forest as habitat and recreational area, by covering forest structures and their development.
Although the RU focuses on forests, it also deals with the interaction between forests and other landscape elements. The RU handles its research themes on different spatial levels: from the stand, to the forest enterprise, to the region and up to the national level. Its research has a strong international reach, especially regarding the methods.
The RU administers the major project Swiss National Forest Inventory LFI and executes it by statutory mandate and in co-operation with the Federal Office of the Environment FOEN. Substantial parts of the LFI are carried out within the RU, while other parts are processed in co-operation with other RUs.
The RU is active in knowledge transfer. Its research projects are usually application-relevant and have an implementation component.
Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape (WSL)
- Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
- Community Ecology
- Research Unit Forest Resources and Management (FoReMa)
- Forest Dynamics
- Forest Soils and Biogeochemistry
- Mountain Hydrology and Mass Movements (GebirgsHydrologie)
- Land Change Science
- SwissForestLab (SwissFL)
- Data Manager: Administrator